Go To Search
Norwich Help Center
RSSPrintEmailFacebookTwitter
Why is carbon monoxide so dangerous?
CO is breathed in through the lungs and bonds with the hemoglobin in the blood.
This interferes with your blood’s oxygen-carrying capacity. Your body cannot
deliver enough oxygen to your vital organs to keep them functioning properly.
The presence of this poisonous compound in your blood can cause symptoms
similar to the flu such as fatigue, headaches, dizziness and confusion. As toxic
levels increase, symptoms can include nausea, vomiting or loss of consciousness.
Exposure to extremely high levels of CO can cause brain damage or death.

Fire-Carbon Monoxide

Show All Answers

1. What is carbon monoxide?
2. Why is carbon monoxide so dangerous?
3. Where does carbon monoxide come from?
4. What are some of the common sources of carbon monoxide?
5. How can I protect my family from carbon monoxide?
6. What should I do if my CO detector alarms or I suspect the presence of CO in my home?