Right-of Way Permit

Before You Dig

The City of Norwich requires anyone (persons or contractors) who seeks to dig or excavate within a legal city right-of-way to obtain a Right-of-Way Permit. Listed below are the requirements to obtain a Right-of-Way Permit:

  • Applicant must obtain and provide a Call-Before-You-Dig (CBYD) ticket number. The telephone number for CBYD is 1 (800) 922-4455 or create a CBYD ticket online at: https://www.cbyd.com/
  • Applicant must provide proof of comprehensive liability insurance with the City of Norwich as insured or additional insured in the amounts of $1,000,000 each occurrence and $2,000,000 aggregate.
  • Applicant must pay a permit fee of $50. Acceptable forms of payment are check, made payable to the City of Norwich, cash, or credit/debit card (convenience fee is charged when using a card). Applicants choosing to pay by cash are strongly encouraged to bring exact change.
  • Applicant must fill out the City of Norwich Application for a Right-of-Way Permit at the Public Works Engineering & Administration office, located at 50 Clinton Avenue.

Right-of-Way Permit applications can be obtained from the Public Works Engineering & Admin office (50 Clinton Avenue) during normal business hours: Monday through Friday, 7:30am - 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 3:30pm.  For more information please call (860) 823-3798.